Maintaining Good Cat Relationships After Surgery or Exams
Your cat may well feel groggy and disorientated on its return home and will have picked up ‘foreign’ odors in the veterinary surgery. Scent is amazingly important for cats and a change of smell can lead to strained cat relationships. The returning cat may be perceived by cats left at home as an intruder and a potential threat. This is not an uncommon scenario.
You can try and minimize potential problems by:
● Putting some bedding in the carrier for the return home which smells of home/you.
● Using Feliway (available at our hospital) in your home.
● Keeping cats apart initially so that the returning cat gets a chance to pick up the smell of home again.
● Mixing their scents by stroking one and then the other, especially around the head area.
● Supervising re-introductions and carefully gauging the cats’ responses.
● Not overwhelming the cat with attention from people, dogs or other cats.
● Letting the cat initiate close contact, but talk to it and gently stroke or groom.